• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

"What if" speculation: the Ukraine goes nuclear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I don’t think nuclear blackmail would work against a nation with an overwhelming number of nuclear weapons.
Consider NK, They can threaten but if they launch on ROK, Japan, or the US mainland they would get obliterated and cease to exist as a nation.
For nuclear blackmail to work against Russia China or the US one would have to deliver a devastating nuclear attack to anyone of those nations, MAD has to contain a devastating blow to a nation, not just a few population centers.
Oh oh so your going to punch me in the mouth are you. Well I’ll knee cap you and break both your arms and fracture your skull so go ahead swing away.
My life saying- why not, win or lose we both wake up sore in the morning. And to enter such situation realistically nowadays you must except the possibility of own death. No -matter the odds I stand my ground. Always have , always will. Now chances of a nuclear exchange could be higher should some-one have a similar attitude. I could die but you will never forget it. 🤔🤨

My life saying- why not, win or lose we both wake up sore in the morning. And to enter such situation realistically nowadays you must except the possibility of own death. No -matter the odds I stand my ground. Always have , always will. Now chances of a nuclear exchange could be higher should some-one have a similar attitude. I could die but you will never forget it. 🤔🤨

Well that's why you're not the leader of millions of people whose lives would be wasted by reckless bravado, thinking you can use that attitude against a nation with 2500 nuclear weapons when you only have a few.

Thus your logon name, yingyang.
The duality of existence and it’s effects on our nature
Part of me knows I should walk away
- that would be the better choice. But the other part just wants to drill you in the face🤣

2500 nukes? yeah right you're so well informed, how many nukes does it take to destroy the whole world...a lot less than 2500 say 1600

2500 nukes? yeah right you're so well informed, how many nukes does it take to destroy the whole world...a lot less than 2500 say 1600
Um, no. That would be grossly inaccurate. A 500 kiloton airburst has a destructive footprint of approximately 16 square miles, based on an overpressure wave of 5 psi or higher. Doubling the yield does not double the destructive radius, so a 1,000 kiloton airburst will not destroy 32 square miles, but closer to 22 square miles.

There are approximately 13,000 total nuclear warheads combined between all of the nuclear-armed powers. Most of them are well below 1 megaton, but overestimating each warhead at 1 MT, that's 13,000 total megatons capable of destroying 286,000 square miles, which is roughly the size of Texas.

Now, I am only factoring in actual blast damage and not any land damaged by radioactive fallout, but modern nuclear weapons actually produce very little in the way of lethal fallout when airburst over their targets. In short, even a total global exchange of every single nuclear warhead in existence would be insufficient to "destroy the world" as most people imagine it.

Do not misunderstand me. The detonation of 13,000 nuclear warheads across the world would be horrific beyond comprehension and casualties would be tallied in hundreds of millions, perhaps even as high as 25% of the global population vaporized instantly, with another 25% dead within a month from secondary factors. The entire planet would be knocked back to medieval times in less time that it takes to have a pizza delivered.

However, it is a common misconception that the entire planet can be wiped out by a global nuclear war. We're just not there yet. If mankind ever harnesses the power of antimatter, we will literally be able to turn the planet into a second asteroid belt orbiting the sun. Hopefully, we never get to that point.

Excluding destruction on land and residual radiation the thermal load in the atmosphere would be a big unknown it would cause a lot of unpredictable weather changes for a time.
Honestly if I was to guess the most likely region a major nuclear exchange might happen is India China or India -China Pakistan.

Apparently you misunderstood me. I was saying we and Russia have roughly 2500 each per all the treaties. Russia has a tad more but they both are probably lying or we have a better weapon and do not care to have anymore better nuclear weapons I should have said.

The Hypersonic weapons really will eliminate the need for nuclear weapons since the accuracy, destruction along with the kinetic energy provides. Anyone who keeps nukes after we both have a lot hypersonic weapons will just be considered a mad man wanting to kill innocent people with massive radiation fallout.

Our Minuteman 3 has a range of 8000 miles not 4000 like was stated previously I think.

Last edited:
Excluding destruction on land and residual radiation the thermal load in the atmosphere would be a big unknown it would cause a lot of unpredictable weather changes for a time.
Honestly if I was to guess the most likely region a major nuclear exchange might happen is India China or India -China Pakistan.

If India and Pakistan launched all their weapons at each other the resulting nuclear dust cloud kicked up will wrap around earth and cause global temperatures to drop by at least one but most likely two degrees which will kill plant life around the equator and most of the rain Forest of Central America and Africa which means, life as we know it from massive starvation. Sure people will survive but only the strong and people who have the know how let alone the people who have rode it out in bunkers till they can get to to better climates.

That is why the world leaders do everything they can to calm them down. Allowing Pakistan to get the bomb was the dumbest thing the CIA ever allowed or just missed.

India had a few nukes but nothing like today since Pakistan started their own nuclear weapons program.

If India and Pakistan launched all their weapons at each other the resulting nuclear dust cloud kicked up will wrap around earth and cause global temperatures to drop by at least one but most likely two degrees which will kill plant life around the equator and most of the rain Forest of Central America and Africa which means, life as we know it from massive starvation.
This theory has been debunked multiple times, especially if it's a regional exchange limited to only a couple hundred detonations. The western and southern hemispheres would be largely unaffected except for a slight increase in background radiation. Europe and Russia would also be largely unaffected.

"Nuclear Winter" is a dead theory. Has been for years.

If Ukraine feels alone it will use it's weapons of last resort ☢️ to stop Russia.
Another reason why NATO must get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.