• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

What is with this vinyl craze?

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
Just saw that something else is being release on vinyl and I have to ask myself: What is it with this vinyl craze? Are people just a bunch of Luddites? Don't they realize that technology advances were made for a reason? Do they insist on using dial-up?

It's all about record companies making money off of people who like to collect this type of media. They've hyped in in such a way to sound like something exciting and the public is buying into it. The whole retro thing is pretty big in general right now.

The come back with them has been going on now for some time. I think it's cool. Anyone remember the old stacked record player/tape deck(s)/radio etc people used to have? And to record a song you had to catch it while it was playing on the radio by pressing play/stop/record at the same time I think. Never really catching a whole song on tape. Lol

I'm speaking from personal experience here. I own a company that manufactures cassettes and CDs and cut vinyl record masters. The main reason why you will see a decrease in CD sales is because the shelf life and user life of a CD is only a few years currently. In the beginning, the shelf life of a CDR was supposed to be about 90 years. The inside reflective material on a CD is extremely thin and will fail in as early as two years currently. A vinyl record life is proven to be well over 100 years. Magnetic media (reel to reel tapes, cassettes, etc) is made to withstand the effects of an EMP or nuclear attack, (as far as the degradation of the iron ozide is concerned) This was an executive order from just past the Truman era and is still in effect even today. Plus, the quality of the entire frequency range for either vinyl or magnetic media is far superior to a CD. This can easily be proven by the use of an O scope. Last year was the first year that the combination of vinyl record manufacturing and cassettes together exceeded the sales of CDs.

Some people believe that digitally formatted music, such as MP3s, lack the warmth and richness offered by vinyl. They insist vinyl is better. Personally, I think they're crazy, but I know some of them personally. I say any medium that is physical in nature (vinyl, tape, even CD) will result in eventual degradation of the quality of the music, whereas digital format sounds the same the 1,000th time you play it as it did the first.

And it's not just vinyl records. There has been a push by musicians to go back to old-style tube amplifiers for the same reasons.

I'm not one of them. I just know they're out there.

True, a vinyl record can have clicks and pops, but even so, it continues to play. A CD will skip or stop reading completely. Honestly, the best media is the old tape media, and yes, there used to be several high quality cassette pancake makers where there was very little of the hiss sound. It's all in the recording method with proper levels and bias.

An MP3 format uses compressed files. The compression of the file cannot handle two different instruments (such as a cello or any stringed instrument with the same frequency. Due to the compression, a frequency cancellation occurs, which the average listener doesn't catch. A true trained musician or a person with a good ear will easily catch the frequency cancellation. So, yes, the quality of an MP3 isn't near as good as vinyl or tape.

And, yes, digital does degrade also. Take it from someone who has been in the business for over 50 years. Digital degrades easily when near a very strong thunderstorm, a G4 CME (coronal mass ejection) or strong magnetic fields, especially if the magnetism is alternating.

OK so much for auditory lessons 101 for the night. We all have opinions, and I'm not trying to convince anyone or even voice an opinion. I'm just sharing what I do know on a personal and professional level. Hey, going back to regular stuff, watch Ukraine. This appears to be heating up real fast.

Itโ€™s the analog verses the digital, digital has no soul man ๐Ÿ˜‚
My hearings so bad I canโ€™t tell difference.

And, yes, digital does degrade also. Take it from someone who has been in the business for over 50 years. Digital degrades easily when near a very strong thunderstorm, a G4 CME (coronal mass ejection) or strong magnetic fields, especially if the magnetism is alternating.
I forgot about the compression. What about non-compression formats like .WAV?

Wav files do have higher quality in the digital format. That's what's used with CD and usb stick (only if saved in wav format)

All this is irreverent, all formats are. CD, Vinyl, Tapes, MP3's are no match for streaming music. Hardly anyone who is anyone buys music anymore. Its ALL streamed now. Streaming music is the only logical way forward and the consumer market agrees. When you stream music its the same quality every-time and forever and will never be lost. Sure you still got a few hold outs who buy music. But its not much and definitely not enough to keep any format going on a successful avenue.

Music just like Movies and TV have now and are completely moving onto music streaming services. Just like the majority of movie and TV watchers now watch 100% of all their content on streaming services, music is on the same direction if not already there.

Last edited:
Hell a lot of artist now a days just release their new albums to music streaming services and don't even come out with physical formats. :rolleyes:๐Ÿคฃ No money in physical formats anymore, no one wants to buy music anymore, and nothing will change that. Just like cable and movie theaters are fast paced to fade into history.

YES fads always come back but that is it, just a fad, and that's what Vinyl is right now a fad. Fads come and go all the time. We brought back the 70's/80's so many times with many different things. See my very clear points?

Last edited: