• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

What is with this vinyl craze?

OK, streaming music uses basically two different formats. The most common is WMA which is windows media audio. That one is the poorest of all medias out there, because the compression of the files is about twice the compression of MP3. Sirus XM radio uses that format, and it's very crappy. I can only sum it up somewhat like this-- Over periods of time, the human ear gets used to or desensitized to certain frequencies. Mid range frequencies from 1k to 4k is the most irritating to the human ear. That's why the alert tone on weather radios, the test tones for audio and TV the test tones for setting up mixing boards before recording are set at 1k. A 1k tone is the most irritating frequency to the human ear. Most of your general frequencies are in the 1k to 4k range---meaning the mid level frequencies are more pronounced to the human ear. If you can ever find one, get a test record of frequencies for vinyl, CD, analog tape and digital. Have a dog nearby, and you will discover that the dog will react more to vinyl records, or analog reel to reel tape, versus digital. Why is that?? The digital on CD cannot reproduce the highest frequencies, while analog (vinyl and tape) can and will. Human hearing on a normal person ranges from 20 Htz to about 15k in general. People who have taken care of their hearing can hear far higher frequencies up to about 18k on average. Vinyl and analog tape can record and reproduce up to 20k.

So why the craze??? the newer generations grew up with CD, digital, etc. Their ears don't know any better. Then,,,,suddenly they hear something from analog tape or a vinyl record. It's like discovering a new world for their ears. Put the pops and cracks to the side--and really listen to the quality.

Speaking of various groups, etc going back to the old amplifiers, etc. The basis is the same. The chips can't handle the voltages required to reproduce or amplify the sound. Although America doesn't have that much avaliable in a tube format anymore, The tubes will outlast chips at least 7 to 1 There's only one place that still manufactures tubes. Guess what country???? Believe it or not--it's Russia. And their quality of the product is very high.

OK, streaming music uses basically two different formats. The most common is WMA which is windows media audio. That one is the poorest of all medias out there, because the compression of the files is about twice the compression of MP3. Sirus XM radio uses that format, and it's very crappy. I can only sum it up somewhat like this-- Over periods of time, the human ear gets used to or desensitized to certain frequencies. Mid range frequencies from 1k to 4k is the most irritating to the human ear. That's why the alert tone on weather radios, the test tones for audio and TV the test tones for setting up mixing boards before recording are set at 1k. A 1k tone is the most irritating frequency to the human ear. Most of your general frequencies are in the 1k to 4k range---meaning the mid level frequencies are more pronounced to the human ear. If you can ever find one, get a test record of frequencies for vinyl, CD, analog tape and digital. Have a dog nearby, and you will discover that the dog will react more to vinyl records, or analog reel to reel tape, versus digital. Why is that?? The digital on CD cannot reproduce the highest frequencies, while analog (vinyl and tape) can and will. Human hearing on a normal person ranges from 20 Htz to about 15k in general. People who have taken care of their hearing can hear far higher frequencies up to about 18k on average. Vinyl and analog tape can record and reproduce up to 20k.

So why the craze??? the newer generations grew up with CD, digital, etc. Their ears don't know any better. Then,,,,suddenly they hear something from analog tape or a vinyl record. It's like discovering a new world for their ears. Put the pops and cracks to the side--and really listen to the quality.

Speaking of various groups, etc going back to the old amplifiers, etc. The basis is the same. The chips can't handle the voltages required to reproduce or amplify the sound. Although America doesn't have that much avaliable in a tube format anymore, The tubes will outlast chips at least 7 to 1 There's only one place that still manufactures tubes. Guess what country???? Believe it or not--it's Russia. And their quality of the product is very high.
Let me make this very clear. I am not here saying streaming is better. No, steaming is definitely not better. What I am here saying is what is the future or weather what is the format that is going to stay for awhile and that is streaming. Streaming won, its not going anywhere, and will rule NOT just one market but many for quite sometime sadly.

I will bring up one final point as to why you've seen changes overall in the realm of media. I don't care what country, what age group, or whatever in that respect. It's called money. The most expensive process for media production is with vinyl records. The second most expensive is analog tape, cassettes, etc. The third is digital, which is practically nothing in cost. The same was with the players. The only format not mentioned in our discussions were with 8 track tapes. 8 tracks had basically three flaws. The actual playback of the tape was an inch and 5/8 per second. The slower the playback, the worse the quality gets. The second flaw was either with the cotton pads that pressed against the tape head (which would come loose) or the foam strip, which will completely be destroyed within about 5 years and turn into a sticky glue. I'm one of the very few left that can actually pull 8tk tapes and change them to either vinyl, cassette or CD or digital media. Also during playback of 8 tk tapes, you'd hear music from the other 3 channels. This is called crosstalk. The cause is not having a playback head properly aligned. Notice I said 3 channels. think stereo, because that's where the other channels come from. The setup on the tape itself for reproduction or playback was track 1 left track 5 right. track 2 left track 6 right. Etc. In true essence, it was a 4 channel (or program) doubled to get stereo, but the music was actually recorded in 8 different spaces on the 1/4 inch analog tape. An easy way to understand the principal would be to think of the tape like a road---but the road has 8 lanes in it. Each one is independent of the other--that's where you get the term tracks.

As a final note, unless someone has a question, etc., NEVER put all of your eggs in the digital basket per say. Streaming music?? Yea, but it costs you something every month and you don't have complete choices or control. A usb stick? yea, they're OK, but remember, they get corrupted too. Your best and safest form for media is still either vinyl records or magnetic media, like cassettes or reel to reel. Speaking of crazes in the digital realm??? I can clearly show how the ADAT was a complete and total flop in the music industry. Many studios got caught in that money trap, sold their older analog stuff and then about 2-3 years later, regretted what they did. I do keep up with the latest and greatest, but I never get rid of old reliable stuff either. That's what's kept me in business for so many years. If you want to see how general trends are going, just follow the auto industry. Why??? because they are going to put the absolute cheapest format of sound in their cars so they can make the most profit. With cars, usb sticks, bluetooth and streaming is moving the market.

Worse than not owning your music or movies. Auto and equipment manufacturer companies are trying to enforce factory approved repairs only or mods utilizing “proprietary software technology” laws.
it’s maddening and insidious.
we don’t really own our home. we pay rent to have a piece of land to plant it on. If we stop paying rent on that land to the king then they not only evict us from the property they take our other real property from us as well.
Now we don’t really own our vehicles or media. Hell most don’t even own their phone.
Some would charged us fees for the rain that falls on our property.
yes I use the kings analogy purposefully to make a point. When the state stops being responsive to the citizen it stops being a representative gov and just a monarch by another name.
“You will own nothing and you will be happy”. That’s the burgeoning mantra of the state to the young generation.

I do agree. Yea, I'm an old fart, but I really feel sorry for the younger generations. They don't have a clue as to what is being dished out to them. It's not only about media. The problem goes very deep. If you look back at history, you'll find the real problem started in 1913 with the beginning of the federal reserve. We can thank Wilson for that one.

I believe Colorado doesn't allow you to collect rainwater.
Florida doesn’t either I believe.
Virginia tried a tax on rain runoff based on property sq footage, pavement and roof.
it’s all just a scam by our new kings to collect more taxes.
we do not have a representative government. We have paper barons elected lords and a rotating kingship.

Chattanooga TN has a stormwater tax which is very high. It's based on the amount of land and also the square footage of any building on the property. I don't know about the water collection in FL., although I live in FL. I used to live in Chattanooga. That's why I know about the stormwater tax.