• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

What is your personal "DEFCON Level"?

What is your personal DEFCON level?

• 5 - Green - No threat of nuclear war in the near future

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • 4 - Blue - No real threat of nuclear war, but maybe we need to keep an eye on things

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • 3 - Yellow - We might tip into nuclear war

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • 2 - Orange - Nuclear war is coming in the next week or so

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 1 - Red - Nuclear war is here or almost here

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
Now that the news of North Korea's latest missile launch has settled down and the world hasn't gone to war, it's time to ask this question:

Our DEFCON Level is currently (as of this writing) Green, 5.

What is your personal DEFCON Level?

The challenge is that we are not getting sufficient information from our actual representatives, and we have an ingrained history of denial of literally decades of ignoring the threat. So we shouldn't have to come here to his private site to get a sense of our safety, but this is what it has come to. Unfortunately, our so-called "experts" have also been wrong many, many times.

The so-called "experts" were writing 6 months ago that North Korea only had a 25 kiloton nuclear capability, when in September it was shown they have 250 kiloton nuclear bombs. The so-called "experts" were stating 6 months ago that North Korea only had the missile capability to reach 3,000 miles, when they can reach 8,100 miles. The so-called "experts" were telling Newsweek's Nina Burleigh 3 months ago that North Korea's missile capability was a "hoax," and on August 11, Newsweek actually reported that the North Korea missile threat was a complete "hoax." Now we have the New York Times and many others, saying we just need to "get used" to a nuclear North Korea that has repeatedly threatened pre-emptive attacks on major cities in the U.S. The frustrated American public are not really frustrated over "politics," but over the lack of concern about the safety of the American people.

So without any confident and consistent leadership, it is every family and every person for themselves, having to try to make sense of what the threat level is. One thing that most people inherently do NOT believe is that there is "no threat." A lot of people are personally at DEFCON 3, and they are not confident there is enough planning or warning, that we could slip from DEFCON 3 to DEFCON 2 without much warning.

I think it's happening this month. NK has publicly crossed the line into having missiles that reach the US. The U.S. can not wait until it crosses the next line, where it has nuclear warheads on these ICBM's, if they don't already. It will be the first direct war with a nuclear power, but I don't know how nuclear it will be, and if it is, it will be the U.S. using small tactical nukes to take out the batteries or upper atmosphere/outer space nuclear detonations to take out all electronics with the massive EMP blast, and operational NK nukes will be obliterated by conventional and other weapons. We will see weapons never used before: something like EMP artillery, or rail gun ordinance perhaps, or conventional nuclear weapons in space.

I'm taking the cancelled Trump visit to Britain as a sign that he will be too busy next month with this more pressing issue... It was not about his tweeting.

I voted for Red just too see if id be the first one to vote for it (i was). I'm normally always in agreement with what the DWS system switches too (when i first started i always disagreed) but as ive been here longer and longer, ive discovered that the DWS sources seem to be reliable. So ive come to trust what the DWS system puts on their site. That doesnt mean im not prepared though. Ive got a bug out bag, and in the case i am unable to bug out, ive got a stash of supplies in my basement, and im always stocking up on ammo.

I'm not quite ready to accept a nuclear-armed North Korea as the "new normal" just yet. If they attain a fully functional nuclear-tipped ICBM capable of hitting all of CONUS and they go for a year or so without actually doing so or without committing nuclear extortion against another country, I might be able to go that route. But as of now, my personal DEFCON is a solid 4, with my top concern still being North Korea.

That being said, I still agree with our decision to drop the public level to 5, because I know I tend to run a little bit more paranoid than most. I try to compensate for that.

DirtyDevil69 said:
I voted for Red just too see if id be the first one to vote for it (i was). I'm normally always in agreement with what the DWS system switches too (when i first started i always disagreed) but as ive been here longer and longer, ive discovered that the DWS sources seem to be reliable. So ive come to trust what the DWS system puts on their site. That doesnt mean im not prepared though. Ive got a bug out bag, and in the case i am unable to bug out, ive got a stash of supplies in my basement, and im always stocking up on ammo.

Question - so do you actually believe it is DEFCON 1 or what is your actual view for the poll?

DirtyDevil69 said:

And that is what it really boils down to, really. Those who wait until we hit DEFCON 2 to start preparing might as well just go set up some lawn chairs and umbrellas at ground zero of primary targets, because it's too late. Even at DEFCON 5, there still exists the possibility of a nuclear war with no prior warning due to human or computer error. Until the damn things are taken off LOW alert, we are at any given moment 30 minutes away from a nuclear attack because accidents happen. Proper preparation takes years to achieve.

REALHumanRights said:
DirtyDevil69 said:

Question - so do you actually believe it is DEFCON 1 or what is your actual view for the poll?

The Defcon 1 thing was me messing around. I believe personally we should be at 4, just because of what is happening and from what Intel i have myself. My sources come from the Naval and Air side of things within the US. The DWS staff i trust have more sources ranging from civilian to military than i do, including sources that may be located in the hot zones (China, SK, Japan, Etc.) I believe the DWS just downgraded back to 5 though, and if they keep jumping back and forth between 3-5 they will start too look unreliable.

So to answer your question, i think we should be at 4, at least until North Korea is completely dealt with, whether it be Military action, diplomatic action, or everything in between.

Let me make it clear. I voted 1 for the joke. That is not my position.

RiffRaff said:
I'm not quite ready to accept a nuclear-armed North Korea as the "new normal" just yet. If they attain a fully functional nuclear-tipped ICBM capable of hitting all of CONUS and they go for a year or so without actually doing so or without committing nuclear extortion against another country, I might be able to go that route. But as of now, my personal DEFCON is a solid 4, with my top concern still being North Korea.

That being said, I still agree with our decision to drop the public level to 5, because I know I tend to run a little bit more paranoid than most. I try to compensate for that.

Thank you very much for the work on this site.
One question - what is the logic on your view on the threat level, however? That is, what would it take to escalate the threat level, if it isn't now? Because I don't view this as exclusively a challenge from North Korea, and I believe the threat be escalated no matter which enemy or heavily extremist country developed such ICBMs.
For example, Pakistan has 120 nuclear warheads, and is our "ally," despite its inherent instability and extremism. Last weekend's surrender by the Pakistan government and Army to demands of extremists is a perfect example of its instability.
But if Pakistan was also testing ICBMs that could reach the U.S. Eastern Coast, I am certain we would be having at LEAST the same discussion about U.S. defense condition that we are having about North Korea. The government of North Korea was literally at war with the U.S., has publicly stated it won't abide by its Armistice Agreement since 1994, and has regularly threatened pre-emptive nuclear strikes on the U.S. I am not sure I understand how that would not justify an elevated threat risk.

RiffRaff said:
Until the damn things are taken off LOW alert, we are at any given moment 30 minutes away from a nuclear attack because accidents happen. Proper preparation takes years to achieve.

Absolutely agree. But by WHO? That is the real problem. No alert levels - we end up with this - chaos in preparedness. What happens if we are attacked? People won't be prepared. Only the very smallest percentage, literally infinitesimal will have any preparedness.

As you recall, part of DHS was set up to have alert levels for the public, which is now gone. So without any type of alert system, it boils down to whoever's opinion happens to be listened to that day by any random individual. The DHS Homeland Security Advisory System (HSAS) alert level system was imperfect at best, but its replacement....National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) basically says nothing and communicates nothing. NTAS creates bulletins that no one see and no one knows. Anyone goes to the DHS.gov site, they will see a page "Happy Shopping." Seriously. No alert information, nothing. How many billions of dollars did the U.S. taxpayers spend to create a DHS to keep us informed? And no offense, we are here, on a private website (thank you), and a handful of us talking about what our alert level should be, while we are paying untold millions of dollars to people who are supposed to keep us informed. What a disgrace for America.

In my personal oppinion we are at level 4 for a year now. Even if the possibillity, increasing to 3 is almost zero, I think that 5 is not fitting in any scenario anymore. At least for now.
We have a vast specrum of millitary movement around the world. Also we have countrys like NK who are increasing it's nuclear arsenal.
Maybe blue is the new green.

DirtyDevil69 said:

You bring up a great point DD. (5)Green is a good time to prepare your bunkers and prepare in a time when your under less stress and get prepared and stay prepared. Stock up. Think ahead.

~Side note to everyone~
I just wanted to say that the team I work with here, on a daily basis, work around the clock most of the time and do an amazing job. I trust strongly thier willingness to judge any and all current "situation(s)" We all try to keep a level head and try to put together all angles of the intel we acquire, hear, come across, read, see, etc. Plus it also helps when you work with an amazing commutiy and have members that contribute and that care about the same things the next one above them or below them does.

We will work together to continue that here at the DEFCON Warning System for you all.

Drumboy44 said:
DirtyDevil69 said:

You bring up a great point DD. (5)Green is a good time to prepare your bunkers and prepare in a time when your under less stress and get prepared and stay prepared. Stock up. Think ahead.

~Side note to everyone~
I just wanted to say that the team I work with here, on a daily basis, work around the clock most of the time and do an amazing job. I trust strongly thier willingness to judge any and all current "situation(s)" We all try to keep a level head and try to put together all angles of the intel we acquire, hear, come across, read, see, etc. Plus it also helps when you work with an amazing commutiy and have members that contribute and that care about the same things the next one above them or below them does.

We will work together to continue that here at the DEFCON Warning System for you all.

Thankyou

My personal DEFCON level is always 1 (one) step higher than what is posted by DEFCON. Not because I disagree with DWS assessment of the threat level. I set my DEFCON higher because I am a prepper. Some of my preps would seem excessive to some readers. For example, I am uncomfortable if food supplies are less than 6 months... or I don't have seeds put back for 2-3 gardening years. When at normal DEFCON 5 peacetime threat level, I stand at DEFCON 4. SO when DWS moved to D3 a few times, the anxiety of some folks was palpable. Anxiety level here went up a bit of course, but we already had a plan for DEFCON 2 which helped our peace of mind a lot.

If DWS is at DEFCON 3... Warnings of D2 or D1 likely will not occur. The strategy associated with fighting a nuclear war favors preemptive attack, which is a distant second to weeks to months of brinksmanship, threats, blockades and hostile acts of many types, including possible release of biological weapons. Our elected officials will NOT warn us, most wouldn't know.

Personally speaking, DEFCON Warning System serves as a reliable barometer of international tensions (and intentions) which help me be a little better prepared.

Thank you all for your tireless work on this site !

Prepare for the worst... hope and pray for the best.

DEFCONWarningSystem said:
Bingo said:
If DWS is at DEFCON 3... Warnings of D2 or D1 likely will not occur.

Our system is designed to go to Red about 24 hours or so before the missiles are launched.

In theory anyway.

My wife and I are prepared to bug out to our "failsafe" point when this site hits DEFCON 2. That is a very specific location along our route that is in the middle of nowhere, safe from any blast zones, where we can stop and safely analyze the situation. And it's not so far away that if things calm down we can't return home fairly quickly and easily. Bugging out at D2 isn't automatic, but it's the level we seriously consider it.

I live in a pretty off-track area, so I don't need to worry about bugging out. D2 is when I do our last-minute supply run. Get transition foods and other stuff that doesn't have a long shelf life to make the transition to the long-term food more easier rather than switching cold turkey.

Fill up water containers, make any improvements to the shelter, etc.

I'm trying to have most everything done beforehand since I assume I'll be pretty busy at D2. Depends on who the enemy is, though. Russia, yeah it's going to be chaos. North Korea, there is some breathing room since I'm fairly sure I won't be a target.

At D2, I would be encouraging people in my core group to make their way cautiously to my location which is off the beaten path as well. My rolling inventory would be checked quickly and real time updates would be sent to the same folks with instructions on what to procure in addition to their BugOut supplies. We will require check ins at regular intervals via text, and when closer via CB radio. Someone will be tasked to track them until they arrive. All water tanks will be filled or refilled with fresh. Fuel tanks will be topped up, LP topped up and redundant electronics placed in EMP protection. Of course, “lock and load” ... As reinforcements arrive, we will set up security shifts, begin briefings and update training as needed. Up to 4 news channels will be monitored 24/7 along with DWS. Our extended group is working on checklists which outline this and more...

Straight fact straight forward it always should be on DEFCON 4. Facts reasons,

1.) The US military of all branches and there " readiness levels" have never gone on DEFCON 5 not ever ever once since 9/11. Also the U.S military has made staments on how the alert level will never be at DEFCON 5 ever again for many many many reasons.

2.) With today's world you have rogue states with nuclear weapons or trying to obtain, you have global terrorism, domestic terrorism, human error and super advanced technology that is making human error far far more likely as we are in uncharted waters with well everything in every level and every aspect.

3.) The threat of nuclear war or a nuclear detonation in U.S soil is and will be until there are no more nukes on this planet a very very likely possibility, that even all US gov branches have warned many times over about. Weather its nuclear terror, or a rogue state with nukes or close to it.

4.) No matter what you may believe or think, this isn't the 90's anymore nor will the security of the 90's ever be achievable ever again. We will always be under certain threat of nuclear war and nuclear terror and it can happen at any moment WITHOUT WARNING.

5.) The fact you guys put it in DEFCON 5 is silly & a deceiving dangerous lie. Not even the US military has been on 5 since 9/11. Threat of nuclear war on any scale is a very very likely scenario in the US, this isnt my opinion at all, this is just the facts provided by the US military and US government.

KimPossible said:
1.) The US military of all branches and there " readiness levels" have never gone on DEFCON 5 not ever ever once since 9/11. Also the U.S military has made staments on how the alert level will never be at DEFCON 5 ever again for many many many reasons.

Could you source that please?

Status
Not open for further replies.