• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

The Best Nuclear War Films

Here are the links to all the nuclear war movies for free-(mostly all on YouTube) below this post.

Going to have a movie marathon and thought I'd share the best of all nuclear war films here for free.

My house repairs are finally done. Was a backlog for services since a lot of people on the beach took some damage from Elsa mostly storm surge. So going to enjoy the new house smell and watch my favorite movies. :)

THREADS

The Day After-(1983)

By Dawn's Early Light

Countdown to Looking Glass

Special Bulletin-(about nuclear terrorism)

A look into what we the people would see before a nuclear war on TV... Someone spent a lot of money into this and is unique as it makes you feel your really watching the end come slowly through real news. BBC gave permission to use their name. Not many know about this film. NO ITS NOT REAL NEWS.
https://youtu.be/M0D3A5dnAqg
The video isn't original as you can tell by tittle,.. but the video hasn't been edited from the short film. But this takes place in current times so makes it much more realistic than older films.

Last edited:
A look into what we the people would see before a nuclear war on TV... Someone spent a lot of money into this and is unique as it makes you feel your really watching the end come slowly through real news. BBC gave permission to use their name. Not many know about this film. NO ITS NOT REAL NEWS.
I've seen this. It's pretty good.

Didn't know the BBC gave permission for them to use their name.

Didn't know the BBC gave permission for them to use their name.
Yes infact the BBC had to make a statement about it as when it first came out, it looked sounded so real people believed it even though in the description it says not real and BBC had to clarify that their name was used in a short film and wasn't really them reporting and there is no nuclear war happening. Lol

Ben Markings is who created the film. But then YouTube refused to take down or stay on top of people stealing his film and reposting it as their own. So he decided to delete his account from frustration. Just like the movies above are still on YouTube after 5 years illegally, you can imagine how YouTube dragged it's feet with him.

If your not a major corporation with money don't count on YouTube protecting your video on their website. Feel bad for the guy, he spent a lot of time and money on making it only to be stolen and remade illegally with zero help from YouTube. Sad cause I was looking forward to other short film he could of made...

Last edited:
I watched this in 1987 when it came out. It was Russia's version of "The Day After" and "Threads." I've seen it one other time since then. It is very difficult to find on the Internet, but it is worth the watch if you can find it:

Edit: Found it on YouTube again:
Make sure you turn on subtitles.

Last edited:
Here are the links to all the nuclear war movies for free-(mostly all on YouTube)

Going to have a movie marathon and thought I'd share the best of all nuclear war films here for free.

My condo repairs are finally done. Was a backlog for services since a lot of people on the beach took some damage from Elsa mostly storm surge. So going to enjoy the new house smell and watch my favorite movies. :)
WINDS OF WAR - YouTube Try this link. A little vid I made when I was bored a few years ago.
Here are the links to all the nuclear war movies for free-(mostly all on YouTube)

My condo repairs are finally done. Was a backlog for services since a lot of people on the beach took some damage from Elsa mostly storm surge. So going to enjoy the new house smell and watch my favorite movies. :)
Thankyou again

This thread is simple. We could all use a little break, as things are beginning to get a little diceyโ€ฆ

What are the best Hollywood films about nuclear war you you have ever seen? Good story, realistic, etc.

The Sum of All Fears is my favorite out of the limited number I have seen. Whatโ€™s yours, DEFCON members?

I'll avoid the obvious and go for a little known one:

Panic in Year Zero

Don't let the horrible title and low budget spook you away. This is an absolutely great movie! The low budget actually helps make the movie more realistic.
Agreed. Excellent movie. Personally, I liked Invasion USA; especially the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version of it. ;)
I wish I could find Alas Babylon. I've read the book, but would like to see the movie.

Reactions: Six
Whatโ€™s missing with most of these is they all rotate around apocalyptic nuclear war.
They always form around extinction event.
Obviously they could go either way but like most things it would be something in the middle.
Starvation and exposure to the elements would probably kill more than the actual bombs.

I'll avoid the obvious and go for a little known one:

Panic in Year Zero

Don't let the horrible title and low budget spook you away. This is an absolutely great movie! The low budget actually helps make the movie more realistic.
I forgot about that one. Iโ€™d like to see a modern one with kitted out urban preppers driving around looking for someplace to go.
Dad with Drop leg holster and junior continually asking if he can get his AR from the back of the SUV yet

I forgot about that one. Iโ€™d like to see a modern one with kitted out urban preppers driving around looking for someplace to go.
I don't think it would work. Panic In Year Zero was a story about a modern man who adapts to sometimes-savage means to help his family survive.

When the mom took a rifle to her daughter's rapist, that was a great moment because it was so out of her normal character.