• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

"A Tale of Two Preppers" - Thinking Like a Green Beret When SHTF

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Donator
This is a well-thought out article with halfway realistic example scenarios. Depending on the situation, my wife and I would use our combined training similarly to the second scenario in this article, except I would make our CP the animal hospital two blocks away, which is easily converted to human use, IMO. There's also a pharmacy and local market right across the street from there.

However, it depends on the situation. The "defended perimeter around the neighborhood" plan doesn't necessarily work with every SHTF scenario. Be smart and have a contingency plan for this if the situation calls for it, and be ready to implement it quickly. But if it's safer to bug out, then bug out. Don't be a slave to one plan over another. Things to consider:

How many people in your neighborhood?
How easy will it be to secure the perimeter of the entire neighborhood?
Any empty houses in your neighborhood?
Resources close by (two or three blocks)?
Training, knowledge, and experience of neighbors that can be useful?
Immediately start cross-training your people, based on interests and aptitude.
Most importantly: Don't be a dictator. Being a "leader" isn't about telling other people what to do.

http://thesurvivalplaceblog.com/2013/02/25/why-you-should-think-like-a-green-beret-instead-of-a-doomsday-prepper

I have thought about this a lot. I have in fact organized what I call "Local Powers Act" for everyone on my block that in the event of any disaster that society or the government fell we all meet at my house and wait out in my bomb shelter I am constructing in the basement. Everyone in the block has donated to foods and water stock and a few people have even donated money for the construction of the bomb shelter in my basement.

We have a small system worked out between us on how things will be handled and governed. We decided in the event of nuclear war we will all move south close to the equator where nuclear winter won't be well you know wintry.

We have fully planned and marked our way to Costa Rica and even have a means of getting three cars started after a EMP effect to get us at least to the Mexican border or more. All of us together have 27 firearms with enough ammo to overthrow Canada and three sets of bows all packed and ready in our three designated cars.

Hope this gives people ideas for your neighborhood. :)

Remember in numbers there is power. BUT remember to many numbers turn into to many hungry mouths so make sure you have enough ration for each person you include in your survivor group.

With recent developments in Syria, I have moved my blocks own alert level to 3. We are practicing, reviewing, and adding to our nuclear, bio, chemical, air raid, and civil unrest plans tonight, and on Friday practicing our evacuation plans. It is also planned when our alert level drops to three by a unanimous vote we all beef up and replace certain stock night of. Maybe with recent international flare up in tensions in Syria may urge others as well to review there SHTF bug-out plans.

Here is hopes to just taking proactive steps that hopefully will not be needed.

KimPossible said:
With recent developments in Syria, I have moved my blocks own alert level to 3. We are practicing, reviewing, and adding to our nuclear, bio, chemical, air raid, and civil unrest plans tonight, and on Friday practicing our evacuation plans. It is also planned when our alert level drops to three by a unanimous vote we all beef up and replace certain stock night of. Maybe with recent international flare up in tensions in Syria may urge others as well to review there SHTF bug-out plans.

Here is hopes to just taking proactive steps that hopefully will not be needed.

What do you see that mainland america is under threat from syria crisis. Russia and America clashing?

Yes, slim unless Iran/Israel come to play. Even still the chance of a large broad conflict is elavated and many variables still unaccounted for.

Therefore with the raw uncertainty which this crisis is presenting anything now could tip the scale causing a ripple throughout the world perhaps/persay I rather not blab on about it.

Again to many unknows and to many real possibilities of U.S Russia confrontation I and my block agreed to take us to alert 3 and are practicing our SHTF plans.

Just prudent precautionary measures.

RiffRaff said:
Things to consider:

How many people in your neighborhood?
How easy will it be to secure the perimeter of the entire neighborhood?
Any empty houses in your neighborhood?
Resources close by (two or three blocks)?
Training, knowledge, and experience of neighbors that can be useful?
Immediately start cross-training your people, based on interests and aptitude.
Most importantly: Don't be a dictator. Being a "leader" isn't about telling other people what to do.

http://thesurvivalplaceblog.com/2013/02/25/why-you-should-think-like-a-green-beret-instead-of-a-doomsday-prepper

All of that is great. I know my plans, I constantly refine it, as things change I modify my plans, and all of that is well and good, but there's one main factor that no one considered.
Human nature.
You can have the best laid out plans, and everything makes sense, but there's that problem that we see in militia's and in community events even at the smallest local level.
People don't want to follow orders, everyone thinks they should be in charge, higher-ups in the community will discard good advice because they didn't come up with it, no one wants to train or rehearse in advance, no one wants to invest anything (time, money, tools, etc.) into their own survival, civil defense takes a back seat to watching TV or screwing off with some other time waster, and people think a few guns, a bag of rice, and a pile of ammo means they're prepared and there's no need to train. There's especially no need to train with YOU because they already have it figured out, and if you try to train them then you're telling them that they don't know something, and they don't want their ego bruised by you teaching them something.

If you can find your way around all of that, please share that holy grail with the rest of us, because I see no answer to that problem outside of them being forced to watch their family and friends die in front of them before they get the point that "we should have prepared in advance, invested the time rehearsing our actions, and refine the plan as we go". And even then, I doubt those words will ever cross their minds.

At the end of the day individual responsibility is the main factor and worries about people who aren't worried is a waste of time and energy that is best kept for ones own health and sanity. You choose your destiny and they chose theirs. People you think you know and trust under circumstances they have never experienced can turn in a second through shear fear and despair. Numbers around you could turn chaotic and deadly with even the ones you love or trust. Personally a risky situation I'm not prepared to take. At the end of the day it's not your fault only a fault of their own .

KimPossible said:
I have thought about this a lot. I have in fact organized what I call "Local Powers Act" for everyone on my block that in the event of any disaster that society or the government fell we all meet at my house and wait out in my bomb shelter I am constructing in the basement. Everyone in the block has donated to foods and water stock and a few people have even donated money for the construction of the bomb shelter in my basement.

We have a small system worked out between us on how things will be handled and governed. We decided in the event of nuclear war we will all move south close to the equator where nuclear winter won't be well you know wintry.

We have fully planned and marked our way to Costa Rica and even have a means of getting three cars started after a EMP effect to get us at least to the Mexican border or more. All of us together have 27 firearms with enough ammo to overthrow Canada and three sets of bows all packed and ready in our three designated cars.

Remember in numbers there is power. BUT remember to many numbers turn into to many hungry mouths so make sure you have enough ration for each person you include in your survivor group.
What model are those vehicles? (Aka what year were they manufactured) cause vehicles that doesn't have electric components would still work after a emp. (I advise to to get armor plates on those cars so you won't get ambushed).

Ps22009 said:
KimPossible said:

What model are those vehicles? (Aka what year were they manufactured) cause vehicles that doesn't have electric components would still work after a emp. (I advise to to get armor plates on those cars so you won't get ambushed).

Actually, it's been proven a myth that no modern vehicles will survive an EMP. Check the articles forum for a detailed analysis of just that very subject.

RiffRaff said:
Ps22009 said:
KimPossible said:

Actually, it's been proven a myth that no modern vehicles will survive an EMP. Check the articles forum for a detailed analysis of just that very subject.

of course modern vehicles won't survive it cause nowadays it's mostly electric.

Ps22009 said:
A modified fortified 1979 pontiac firebird-(my baby..<3) not only for EMP for extra modern equipment we have added to the car but armor for bullets.(mods not noticeable from outside or surface of car) We have a master mechanic in our group, very very helpful man, don't know if our plans would work without him... A Jeep J10 Pick-up from the year 1970 something, and a ford bronco 1970 also harden against EMP attack from more modern equipment upgrading these rather older cars. I am no wiz at cars, we have someone in the group for that, I am the organizer.

Ps22009 said:
RiffRaff said:
Ps22009 said:

Repeating the myth doesn't make it true. Go read this article: https://defconwarningsystem.com/2018/01/18/emp-effects-facts-myths-and-the-unknown/

There is a specific section in there where the US conducted tests on the survivability of modern vehicles against EMP, and while SOME were permanently damaged, most were not. It has to do with the wavelength of the E3 wave and the length of conductors required to carry it.

Ps22009 said:
RiffRaff said:
Ps22009 said:

Hence why I keep a bicycle in my apartment, as well as a folding bicycle in the trunk of my car. Not only for EMP threats, but if there were other emergencies that would make travel by car difficult. Plus it's nice to cycle to work on nice days.

what about keeping a spare spark plug handy? and foiling the ignition coil?

Guest said:
what about keeping a spare spark plug handy? and foiling the ignition coil?

People, the notion of EMP rendering every vehicle manufactured after 1980 permanently DOA is a confirmed MYTH. The research was done. Only a small percentage of test vehicles were damaged so badly that they could not be restarted without major repairs. On most of them, the engine died, but was able to be immediately restarted.

Read the research article I've posted before continuing to propagate misinformation.