• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

I know nothing

Six

If one knows nothing about radios or their usage nor has a license, what would the Radio operators here recommend for an emergency radio? Handheld or ....????

Some of the consequences of a combat nuclear detonation anywhere in the world against anyone for any reason will be societal in nature. The global economy will immediately crash and crash hard. How hard and how permanent that crash is will depend on the military response and whether or not additional bombs go off. But, people are going to panic, assuming that a global armageddon has started. Whether they're correct or not makes little difference.
This is why having an Emergency Action Plan already developed and in place for "Single Combat Detonation of Nuclear Weapon" is extremely important to the safety and security of your family. Assume cellular communications are going to be jammed, panicked lines at stores and gas stations, and heavy traffic leaving large cities. Assume your family is going to be separated when it happens (at work, for instance). There should be alternate communication protocols (ie ham radio), alternate methods of getting home (following railroad tracks or high-tension power lines is recommended if on foot), and alternate destinations if you can't safely make it home (ie family members).
Obviously, there's a lot more to a plan of this complexity, but you get the idea. Figure it out now, because there won't be time to do it after it happens, and PUT IT IN WRITING. If it starts with a single Russian tactical weapon over Ukraine territory, you *probably* have several hours before it escalates into a global exchange, if it goes that far. Make good use of that time.
started this thread after reading RR's comment. Communication is the trickiest part of preparedness as far I'm concerned.

If one knows nothing about radios or their usage nor has a license, what would the Radio operators here recommend for an emergency radio? Handheld or ....????
Baofeng handheld radios are inexpensive and do not require a license to purchase or monitor frequencies. They only require a license to transmit. However, there is an exception for "life or death emergencies" which states that anyone can transmit on any available frequency without a license in a genuine life or death emergency. A possible nuclear war qualifies, in my humble opinion.

I would get an 8-watt dual-band handheld transceiver, which is the maximum legal power output for an HT ham radio. I would also invest in at least one spare battery per radio. Batteries can be conserved by prearranged transmit times, such as "every 20 minutes at 5 minutes past the hour, 25 minutes past the hour, and 45 minutes past the hour." The radios are turned off otherwise unless circumstances require otherwise.

The most difficult part of these radios is programming them for proper frequencies for your area. This is publicly available information, but still is not easy if you're not technically inclined. That being said, let me explain how my wife's and my radios are programmed. They are 200-channel radios, running from 0 - 199. Channel 0 is always set to a simplex frequency (simplex means the radio is not hitting a repeater and is basically functioning as a glorified walkie-talkie). This is a frequency not assigned to any repeater in our state and is for my wife and I to communicate over relatively short distances (5 to 10 miles, depending on a whole host of variables). Odds are good that no one will be listening to us since it's not a repeater frequency, but communications security protocols still apply nevertheless.

Channels 1 - 100 are programmed for each Indiana county's primary repeater frequency, in alphabetical order.
Channels 101 - 199 are programmed for emergency services frequencies, such as CERT, ARES, EMA, and other disaster management groups, plus GRMS and FRS frequencies which allows communication with people who have purchased those radios for hunting or other activities.
Most of these are duplex frequencies, meaning the radio hits a repeater that broadcasts your transmission over a much wider area, such as an entire county.

These radios can be programmed from their own built-in keyboard, but I've found it's much easier to program on my computer using the free software application and then uploading that programming to the radio through a USB cable.
Minimum things you need to know:
The difference between simplex and duplex, which I've already explained
PL/CTCSS codes (sometimes used to access repeaters)
Frequency offsets (used for duplex operations)

There are a lot of other things that go into programming, but these are the basics. Your average person with no radio knowledge at all and a basic grasp of computers could probably figure this out with easily found online information in a few hours or so.

For those who want to go the extra step and actually obtain an amateur radio operator's license, it is not that difficult or expensive, but it's also not necessary if you have no intention of using these radios unless SHTF.

Baofeng handheld radios are inexpensive and do not require a license to purchase or monitor frequencies. They only require a license to transmit. However, there is an exception for "life or death emergencies" which states that anyone can transmit on any available frequency without a license in a genuine life or death emergency. A possible nuclear war qualifies, in my humble opinion.

I would get an 8-watt dual-band handheld transceiver, which is the maximum legal power output for an HT ham radio. I would also invest in at least one spare battery per radio. Batteries can be conserved by prearranged transmit times, such as "every 20 minutes at 5 minutes past the hour, 25 minutes past the hour, and 45 minutes past the hour." The radios are turned off otherwise unless circumstances require otherwise.

The most difficult part of these radios is programming them for proper frequencies for your area. This is publicly available information, but still is not easy if you're not technically inclined. That being said, let me explain how my wife's and my radios are programmed. They are 200-channel radios, running from 0 - 199. Channel 0 is always set to a simplex frequency (simplex means the radio is not hitting a repeater and is basically functioning as a glorified walkie-talkie). This is a frequency not assigned to any repeater in our state and is for my wife and I to communicate over relatively short distances (5 to 10 miles, depending on a whole host of variables). Odds are good that no one will be listening to us since it's not a repeater frequency, but communications security protocols still apply nevertheless.

Channels 1 - 100 are programmed for each Indiana county's primary repeater frequency, in alphabetical order.
Channels 101 - 199 are programmed for emergency services frequencies, such as CERT, ARES, EMA, and other disaster management groups, plus GRMS and FRS frequencies which allows communication with people who have purchased those radios for hunting or other activities.
Most of these are duplex frequencies, meaning the radio hits a repeater that broadcasts your transmission over a much wider area, such as an entire county.

These radios can be programmed from their own built-in keyboard, but I've found it's much easier to program on my computer using the free software application and then uploading that programming to the radio through a USB cable.

There are a lot of other things that go into programming, but these are the basics. Your average person with no radio knowledge at all and a basic grasp of computers could probably figure this out with easily found online information in a few hours or so.

For those who want to go the extra step and actually obtain an amateur radio operator's license, it is not that difficult or expensive, but it's also not necessary if you have no intention of using these radios unless SHTF.
Thank you RR, that is a great start and great information.

Thank you RR, that is a great start and great information.
Feel free to post any questions on disaster communications and amateur radio. I know I'm not the only ham operator here, so if I don't answer it someone else will.

Coincidentally, I'm getting ready to put up the first 30 feet of my 60 foot communications tower here at my house. I'll post pictures as it progresses.

Feel free to post any questions on disaster communications and amateur radio. I know I'm not the only ham operator here, so if I don't answer it someone else will.

Coincidentally, I'm getting ready to put up the first 30 feet of my 60 foot communications tower here at my house. I'll post pictures as it progresses.
I really let an opportunity slip recently, I had a client with a very serious Ham setup and all I did was invite him to join us here. The guy was moving so I appreciate the info from you guys.

Would EMP affect the repeaters? Hopefully they have been hardened.

Would EMP affect the repeaters? Hopefully they have been hardened.
Probably some, but no way to tell which ones before it happens. That's why knowing the difference between simplex (without repeater) and duplex (with repeater) is essential. If all the repeaters in your area are down, you will have to rely on simplex communications which greatly limits the distance of your transmissions. Putting an antenna on your roof or as high as you can and connecting your handheld to it will improve both reception and transmission, but you probably won't hit your entire county.

Mobile ham radios, on the other hand, like what I have mounted in my truck put out up to 50 watts of transmission power. They are more expensive, of course, but having one of those connected to an antenna on your roof would greatly increase your transmitting capabilities without a repeater.

It is important to keep all radios disconnected from wall outlets and external antennae if you want to avoid EMP damage to your own rig. Handheld radios will most likely not be affected (not a guarantee, but a probability).