• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

New Theme

hrng

Power Poster II
User level setting of theme seems to be disabled - I can't find any way in my settings to change to a different theme.

Legibility of the new theme is terrible D:

hrng said:
User level setting of theme seems to be disabled - I can't find any way in my settings to change to a different theme.

The ability to change themes has been disabled for the time being.

What is wrong with the legibility?

DEFCONWarningSystem said:

Lime green = bad in any design.

Beyond that, there is a mish-mash of high contrast and low contrast elements. Post text is low contrast vs the overly contrasted post titles and metadata, which means the eyes are drawn to things that they should not be drawn to.

Dark vs light themes should also be a user choice - dark backgrounds work great for night browsing, but look terrible in the middle of the day. Eye strain can result from the misuse of dark during day and light at night.

I could go on, but I really should get back to work :D

hrng said:

The ability to change themes has been disabled for the time being.

Not a damn thing. This will make the site easier to read in the middle of the night, since a website with a white background is like staring into a halogen bulb.

RiffRaff said:
Not a damn thing. This will make the site easier to read in the middle of the night, since a website with a white background is like staring into a halogen bulb.

Yeah now it's like staring at the night sky with huge green neon lights shining in your eyes :D

hrng said:
RiffRaff said:

Yeah now it's like staring at the night sky with huge green neon lights shining in your eyes :D

NV goggles

hrng said:
RiffRaff said:

LOL. You say that like it's a bad thing...

There's a reason most text is black on a white background -- because it's easier to read!!! Unless you're a a 14 year old you don't consider a black back background with neon green highlights a plus, you consider it a distraction and start reaching for the Advil.

Librarylady said:
There's a reason most text is black on a white background -- because it's easier to read!!! Unless you're a a 14 year old you don't consider a black back background with neon green highlights a plus, you consider it a distraction and start reaching for the Advil.

That is absolutely true for printed text. When dealing with a computer screen, however, white text on black background is much easier on the eyes and leads to much less strain.

hrng said:
Lime green = bad in any design.

Oh I can fix that. The green is simply meant to be the alert colour. It will change when the alert changes. So now the message board is themed to the alert condition.

It's currently set for #00ff00, which is green, which is the same (I think) for the main page. But I can make it a different, more pleasing green if you'd like. Maybe a darker hue?

RiffRaff said:
That is absolutely true for printed text. When dealing with a computer screen, however, white text on black background is much easier on the eyes and leads to much less strain.

https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes

https://tatham.blog/2008/10/13/why-light-text-on-dark-background-is-a-bad-idea/

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-better-for-the-eyes-while-reading-digital-books-a-white-background-with-black-text-a-black-background-with-white-text-or-sepia-mode
Oh I can fix that. The green is simply meant to be the alert colour. It will change when the alert changes. So now the message board is themed to the alert condition.

It's currently set for #00ff00, which is green, which is the same (I think) for the main page. But I can make it a different, more pleasing green if you'd like. Maybe a darker hue?

Tbh, I'd say keep the alert colour to the header, and have a consistent and easy to read theme throughout the site.

You'll have too much trouble trying to find colours that work at every level. E.g. Blue or red on black is hard to see, and that's not even considering how colour blind people would perceive it.

Consistency is key with theming :)

hrng said:
RiffRaff said:

https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes

https://tatham.blog/2008/10/13/why-light-text-on-dark-background-is-a-bad-idea/

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-better-for-the-eyes-while-reading-digital-books-a-white-background-with-black-text-a-black-background-with-white-text-or-sepia-mode

Don't quote scientific research with me! I've got my gut to tell me what's right!

In all seriousness, though, all three of those articles quote the same study, so effectively only one single reference. However, I can see their point. (Pun intended.)

hrng said:
You'll have too much trouble trying to find colours that work at every level. E.g. Blue or red on black is hard to see, and that's not even considering how colour blind people would perceive it.

I am one of those colour blind people. This new theme is wonderful for me! :D :D :D

I agree, keep the color theme to the header and stick to black and white for the body of the site. Maybe do the frames in the header color, but NOT the highlighted text, it's really hard to read. Also, give people the option of black on white or white on black. I have the feeling that those of us who grew up entirely with print media are more comfortable with black on white, regardless of whether it's better for our eyes or not.

RiffRaff said:
Don't quote scientific research with me! I've got my gut to tell me what's right!

In all seriousness, though, all three of those articles quote the same study, so effectively only one single reference. However, I can see their point. (Pun intended.)

:D

Good point, though it's something I've seen anecdotally before, too. I'd say a lot of it comes down to individuals. In my line of work, everyone styles their terminal differently and most of us are working on terminals all day. I generally go for a grey of about 60-70% darkness with a white or grey of about 10% darkness. Too much contrast makes the words bleed together for me - too little contrast and I'm straining my eyes. I don't know anyone that chooses to go with the classic "hacker movie" style of green terminals ;)
I am one of those colour blind people. This new theme is wonderful for me! :D :D :D

Curious - how visible is your username's colour against the background? For me it's fairly bright, with decent contrast, but the colour makes it bleed a bit and confuses my eyes. I can feel my eye repeatedly searching focus to figure out where the text is.

I dunno how accurate this site is: https://www.toptal.com/designers/colorfilter , but the yellow it shows on protanopia is kinda nice. Slightly desaturated and slightly darkened, lowers the contrast enough that it doesn't draw focus unnecessarily without compromising legibility. The background or text colour on the primary buttons does need changing though.

hrng said:
RiffRaff said:

:D

Good point, though it's something I've seen anecdotally before, too. I'd say a lot of it comes down to individuals. In my line of work, everyone styles their terminal differently and most of us are working on terminals all day. I generally go for a grey of about 60-70% darkness with a white or grey of about 10% darkness. Too much contrast makes the words bleed together for me - too little contrast and I'm straining my eyes. I don't know anyone that chooses to go with the classic "hacker movie" style of green terminals ;)

You do now. My current desktop:

Screenshot%20at%202017-06-26%2023-37-41.png

hrng said:

I also agree with that statement the old theme wasn't perfect for people like us, to put it kindly.

I like to read the forums by active topic. I'm not seeing a way to select that now. I can get it by using links from my browser history...