• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Possible Self-Sustaining Fission Detected at Chernobyl Disaster Site

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Donator
This article goes into some great detail about what's going on, and they seem to think that the risk is minimal, but it's still something that bears noting.

There was a story about a geological formation in Africa where it looked like there might have been a prehistoric nuclear detonation.
it was small and subterranean. They speculated uranium had settled into a concentrated deposit and with time and pressure had possibly achieved fission.
It a stretch and might be bunk.
But who knows with enough time and pressure, as they like to say

The Earth's core is 6000 °C that's about as hot as the surface of the sun 5800°C.
Uranium becomes sufficiently concentrated at the base of Earth’s mantle to ignite self-sustained nuclear fission.

The Earth's core is 6000 °C that's about as hot as the surface of the sun 5800°C.
Uranium becomes sufficiently concentrated at the base of Earth’s mantle to ignite self-sustained nuclear fission.
Naturally occurring self-sustained nuclear fission is theoretically possible, but the scenario you're referencing near the planet's core is a highly controversial theory, not fact. If they are able to prove it true at some point in the future, maybe we can figure out a way to utilize it as a new source of renewable energy.

Those temperature and concentrations of magnetic materials in liquid form are the reason we have an atmosphere. Without it we wouldn’t have an atmosphere dense enough to protect life from solar radiation.

My god ,i can only imagine the same people responsible for Chernobyl,Atomic Above Ground testing messing with the core of the earth for a renewable energy source. We can't involve ourselves without the long line of people looking to make money off it, Abuse it, become careless, and eventually ruin it.

De Soviet Union tried to see how far they could drill and dig a long time ago. 12 miles roughly and one diamond bit after another broke. The temperature is too hot for anything to live in.

De Soviet Union tried to see how far they could drill and dig a long time ago. 12 miles roughly and one diamond bit after another broke. The temperature is too hot for anything to live in.
The US did too in the past and Germany is actually doing a dig to see how far they can go to currently if memory servers me right.

It's mostly to test and develop better mining tech.

Naturally occurring self-sustained nuclear fission is theoretically possible, but the scenario you're referencing near the planet's core is a highly controversial theory, not fact. If they are able to prove it true at some point in the future, maybe we can figure out a way to utilize it as a new source of renewable energy.

Sources have been found but the very popular scientists always seem to disappear after making such claims or claim they made a mistake and won't tell anyone about what they were working with as to not disappear.

I don't think we will see anything to rival the existing system until they can find a way to still charge for it.