• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Thinking of moving? Your blue state may soon charge you an exit tax

teekay99

Donator
Member of the Year
Opinion from Fox News:

I have a Constitutional question about this. If State A implements an "exit tax" that disrupts your ability to relocate your business or yourself (as a private individual) to any other state, does this pose any Constitutional issues?
  • Does it constitute an illegal taking?
  • Does it run afoul of the Interstate Commerce clause in some manner (if it is a business)?
  • Any other Constitutional concerns I am not thinking of?

Opinion from Fox News:

I have a Constitutional question about this. If State A implements an "exit tax" that disrupts your ability to relocate your business or yourself (as a private individual) to any other state, does this pose any Constitutional issues?
  • Does it run afoul of the Interstate Commerce clause in some manner (if it is a business)?
Supreme court would probably like to have a say on this.

Opinion from Fox News:

It's not going to work.

Just for the same reason the GOP failed to pass laws that fine & jail people who go out of state to get a abortion or GOP failing to pass laws to ban the abortion pill from being mailed into their state.

Last edited:
I don't see how it is Constitutional.
I think the same but we've been surprised by some previous rulings from SCOTUS. For example, I thought being forced to buy health care coverage was Unconstitutional, but Chief Disappointment... oops I mean Chief Justice John Roberts thought differently...

Last edited:
I think the same but we've been surprised by some previous rulings from SCOTUS. For example, I thought being forced to buy health care coverage was Unconstitutional, but Chief Disappointment... oops I mean Chief Justice John Roberts thought differently...
Again. If GOP states where unable to pass laws ticketing and jailing people who go out of their state to get a abortion & they also failed to ban the abortion pill being mailed to their state WITHOUT SCOTUS picking it up and lower courts finding it overwhelming unconstitutional.

Sincerely doubt this plan to tax people leaving states is going to go anywhere or get any real traction. Much like similar laws GOP tried to push as mentioned above not to long ago. It's all 100% hot air.

I thought being forced to buy health care coverage was Unconstitutional
The legal theory is not that you are being forced to buy health insurance, but you are being taxed if you don't. And the Federal Government has the right to tax.

It didn't help that Obama told the public that it was not a tax but told the Court that it was a tax. So Obama lied to someone in order to get it passed.

Again. If GOP states where unable to pass laws ticketing and jailing people who go out of their state to get a abortion
The States do not have that right. (We will ignore the fact that abortion is Federally prohibited by the Constitution in the Fifth Amendment.)
& they also failed to ban the abortion pill being mailed to their state WITHOUT SCOTUS picking it up and lower courts finding it overwhelming unconstitutional.
States do have that right, actually. The lower courts were wrong. A State can ban something coming into it. I know of no Constitutional prohibition against that.

The legal theory is not that you are being forced to buy health insurance, but you are being taxed if you don't. And the Federal Government has the right to tax.

It didn't help that Obama told the public that it was not a tax but told the Court that it was a tax. So Obama lied to someone in order to get it passed.
Yeah, I understood the underlying basis for CJ Roberts' decision. To me this seemed a bit like judicial activism. I'd have to check the oral arguments presented to the Court (as I am not familiar with them), but if the government never argued that it was a tax or never presented evidence that the law was passed under Congress' taxing authority, it seems to me CJ Roberts' decision was a solution in search of an argument. Or maybe he just wanted to fit in with the more "stylish" (to borrow a term from Dirty Harry) liberal justices on the Court...

States do have that right, actually. The lower courts were wrong. A State can ban something coming into it. I know of no Constitutional prohibition against that.
Agree. States have this right. An excellent example of this currently in effect are dry counties that prohibit certain types of alcohol sales, possession, or transit.

Last edited:
During a state of emergency can't a governor order curfews? i.e. measures to curtail the movement of citizens, such as roadblocks.

What you’re all forgetting is that the state of cali can make this assessment on a ind or business state taxes. You will pay it because it is part of your states assessed tax bill. Or we seize any properties put liens on your accounts.
Is it correct hell know will it stick 50/50 chance it does. They will call it the FU2ATHYRIO tax