• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Iraqi parliament votes to kick US out of Iraq

ThunderStealer

Power Poster
BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraq’s Parliament called for the expulsion of U.S. troops from the country Sunday in reaction to the American drone attack that killed a top Iranian general.

Lawmakers approved a resolution asking the Iraqi government to end the agreement under which Washington sent forces to Iraq more than four years ago to help in the fight against the Islamic State group.

A pullout of the estimated 5,200 U.S. troops could cripple the fight against ISIS and allow its resurgence.

The majority of about 180 legislators present in Parliament voted in favor of the resolution. It was backed by most Shiite members of parliament, who hold a majority of seats. Many Sunni and Kurdish legislators did not show up for the session, apparently because they oppose abolishing the deal.

So there's two questions I have; did Trump just end the war in Iraq, or will we say F-U and re-invade Iraq?

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/01/05/iraqis-vote-to-kick-us-troops-out-following-killing-of-soleimani/

Although parliament voted, it's not a done deal yet. I understand the Iraqi President still has to approve or something like that. We'll know at the end of the week.

DEFCONWarningSystem said:
Although parliament voted, it's not a done deal yet. I understand the Iraqi President still has to approve or something like that. We'll know at the end of the week.

It's all pretty much a done deal though, honestly. What I'm really hoping for, and what will probably happen, is that Iran will wait for things to die down, and then hit with a response that they feel will be less likely to invite retaliation.

DEFCONWarningSystem said:

If this goes through, this changes the dynamics of theater operations. Once we're out, Iran will have full control of Iraq.

In Syria they complain about pulling out troops In Iraq they complain about NOT pulling out troops. I wish people would make their minds up.

By voting U.S. Troops out they have solidified their position when it comes to U.S./Iraqi relations.

Lowke said:
In Syria they complain about pulling out troops In Iraq they complain about NOT pulling out troops. I wish people would make their minds up.

You do realize that they are two separate countries, right? They can have different policies.

Spectre said:
Lowke said:

You do realize that they are two separate countries, right? They can have different policies.

Of course I do. But it is still essentially the same theatre of war. Its all part of the great conflict between Communist backed Authoritarian Islamic Theocracy and Progressive, Liberal Democratic Islam. Right ?

Lowke said:
Spectre said:
Lowke said:

Of course I do. But it is still essentially the same theatre of war. Its all part of the great conflict between Communist backed Authoritarian Islamic Theocracy and Progressive, Liberal Democratic Islam. Right ?

Pulling out in Syria resulted in lots of Kurds deaths by Turkey and more Russian influence on the country, as well as the US loosing it's grip on the area. Staying on Iraq right now is putting the troops at risk and risking further escalation by exposing them to Iranian-backed militias attacks.

Senior Iranian commander vows to take 'harsher revenge soon' after missile attacks
Abdollah Araghi's words came after Donald Trump said Iran appeared to be "standing down" amid tensions between the two countries.
https://news.sky.com/story/senior-iranian-commander-vows-to-take-harsher-revenge-soon-after-missile-attacks-11904293