• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Seeking Amateur Radio Operators General Class and higher

megalos

Hello,

The idea has been kicked about regarding the DEFCON warning systems community and amateur radio. To me this is a no-brainer, as our HF access gives us an efficient method
of communicating when all else fails... I would like to see how many people here have a General class (US amateur radio) license, or have 40M (7 mhz) privileges. This seems to be an easy to operate band, and is generally good when band conditons are not always the best higher up.

If you would just reply here in this thread, with your name, and callsign, (assuming you feel comfortable sharing that) or at least signify in some way you are a licensed amateur radio operator, I can get a feel of if this is a viable option. Assuming we are able to form a critical mass of operators, perhaps we could start an HF monthly net wherein we check-in at a pre-designated time, and then just say hi to each other, read the most current DEFCON bulletin, and then perhaps assign net control rotating duties as the thing evolves.

Eventually, I would like to figure out some form of digital standard or standards wherein the bulletin could be transmitted via HF and received by those without internet access, or those in remote locations throughout the world.

Again, this is in the nascent stages and the sky is the limit on how organized and regimented, or, how loose and relaxed we make it. The end result I would like to obtain would be for us to have fun, fellowship, and provide a service to the community. If in the process we get more people interested in obtaining or upgrading their licenses, so much the better!

I look forward to hearing back from you all soon.
Best of 73,

N2SRO

Last edited by a moderator:
KD9BCD here. My license does not cover that band. However, I would like to look into getting the appropriate equipment to at least monitor HF, with the ability to transmit if SHTF, at which point FCC violations are the least of anyone's worries. Upgrading my license is something I would be willing to look into depending on what it entails.

Hello,

The idea has been kicked about regarding the DEFCON warning systems community and amateur radio. To me this is a no-brainer, as our HF access gives us an efficient method
of communicating when all else fails... I would like to see how many people here have a General class (US amateur radio) license, or have 40M (7 mhz) privileges. This seems to be an easy to operate band, and is generally good when band conditons are not always the best higher up.

If you would just reply here in this thread, with your name, and callsign, (assuming you feel comfortable sharing that) or at least signify in some way you are a licensed amateur radio operator,
I can get a feel of if this is a viable option. Assuming we are able to form a critical mass of operators, perhaps we could start an HF monthly net wherein we check-in at a pre-designated time, and then just say hi to each other, read the most current DEFCON bulletin, and then perhaps assign net control rotating duties as the thing evolves.

Eventually, I would like to figure out some form of digital standard or standards wherein the bulletin could be transmitted via HF and received by those without internet access, or those in remote locations throughout the world.

Again, this is in the nascent stages and the sky is the limit on how organized and regimented, or, how loose and relaxed we make it. The end result I would like to obtain would be for us to have fun, fellowship, and provide a service to the community. If in the process we get more people interested in obtaining or upgrading their licenses, so much the better!

I look forward to hearing back from you all soon.
Best of 73,

N2SRO
hi iam kc6iki i live in lasvegas nevada look me up on fcc page

Hi,

id like to entertain the idea! Basic & Advanced access to 40M and 20M
73’s
ve7wmx BC Canada

KD9BCD here. My license does not cover that band. However, I would like to look into getting the appropriate equipment to at least monitor HF, with the ability to transmit if SHTF, at which point FCC violations are the least of anyone's worries. Upgrading my license is something I would be willing to look into depending on what it entails.
here my e mail ad [email protected] you e maill me kc6iki

It amazes me with the natural disasters California has the state discontinued their use of them to alert people.

KF4VAR Amateur Extra. Cotacachi Ecuador. No Ecuadorian license at this point (we have a recip agreement with Ecuador) because I am no longer active.....used to work the national and regional nets (phone) bringing traffic down to local 2 M and 6M nets using standard ARRL message form traffic..... lived in Mexico for 10 years and was active with their XE prefix on some of the local nets there. Also experience with digital formats in that portion of the bands. Ex broadcast/marine/sw engineering type.