• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Seeking Amateur Radio Operators General Class and higher

i'm lost... are u telling us how to check in to the net this coming saturday?
I will not be transmitting anywhere if, there is no emergancy activation. At the bottom is information about the Florida Winlink net. You can check in to it if you like to get your call sign on the mailing list. May be another source of information if all else fails. It is well connected to emergency comms here in Florida. It is just another source for information. Boy Scout moto: Be Prepared.

Good Evening,

I fully realize that the HF bands may not be cooperating with us tomorrow due to recent solar flares and activity. I will still be on 7.200 Mhz or as close to it as possible (+ / - a few khz depending on availability) at 2130 hrs Eastern (Philly / NYC) / 0130 hrs zulu

The main focus of the excercise tomorrow (saturday 05/15/2021) is to just getting to know each other and setting a benchmark to improve upon. With this in mind, I will ALSO be on my local 2M repeater (147.120.) It is allstar node 42663. to connect with an allstar node, simply send dtmf tones "*3 42663" on your local allstar repeater and it should automatically link in to my local repeater. I will take HF connections first, and then move over to the allstar node to take check-ins there.

here's to a successful check-in tomorrow - Cheers!

Megalos
In attempting to connect to your 147.120 local repeater via echolink I get an unauthorized message and am unable to connect. Thought I would pass this along. I assume this is the KC2DUX machine and not W2CJA, correct? The repeater book lists 2 machines there, KC2DUX in Gloucester and W2CJA in Middlesex.

Regards and many thanks......

Last edited:
may be people around the world,
Yes good thinking. I know this website is based of American Homeland threats. But unfortunately we live in a globalized society which means the US depends on the rest of the world just working so in a fine tune of music.

If the world gets thrown off or into disarray nine times out of ten it will effect America. This is why I am glad that many people around the world participate in this unique website and other non American citizens report here with views outside the US, and discuss what they are truly seeing.

For those foreigners thank you for your participation it is needed here

Hello,

The idea has been kicked about regarding the DEFCON warning systems community and amateur radio. To me this is a no-brainer, as our HF access gives us an efficient method
of communicating when all else fails... I would like to see how many people here have a General class (US amateur radio) license, or have 40M (7 mhz) privileges. This seems to be an easy to operate band, and is generally good when band conditons are not always the best higher up.

If you would just reply here in this thread, with your name, and callsign, (assuming you feel comfortable sharing that) or at least signify in some way you are a licensed amateur radio operator, I can get a feel of if this is a viable option. Assuming we are able to form a critical mass of operators, perhaps we could start an HF monthly net wherein we check-in at a pre-designated time, and then just say hi to each other, read the most current DEFCON bulletin, and then perhaps assign net control rotating duties as the thing evolves.

Eventually, I would like to figure out some form of digital standard or standards wherein the bulletin could be transmitted via HF and received by those without internet access, or those in remote locations throughout the world.

Again, this is in the nascent stages and the sky is the limit on how organized and regimented, or, how loose and relaxed we make it. The end result I would like to obtain would be for us to have fun, fellowship, and provide a service to the community. If in the process we get more people interested in obtaining or upgrading their licenses, so much the better!

I look forward to hearing back from you all soon.
Best of 73,

N2SRO
W4TBD, Amateur Extra, 3 HF radios, 2 HF antennas, all gear on UPS and auto generator.

Megalos
In attempting to connect to your 147.120 local repeater via echolink I get an unauthorized message and am unable to connect. Thought I would pass this along. I assume this is the KC2DUX machine and not W2CJA, correct? The repeater book lists 2 machines there, KC2DUX in Gloucester and W2CJA in Middlesex.

Regards and many thanks......
42663 KC2DUX repeater...

Hello,

The idea has been kicked about regarding the DEFCON warning systems community and amateur radio. To me this is a no-brainer, as our HF access gives us an efficient method
of communicating when all else fails... I would like to see how many people here have a General class (US amateur radio) license, or have 40M (7 mhz) privileges. This seems to be an easy to operate band, and is generally good when band conditons are not always the best higher up.

If you would just reply here in this thread, with your name, and callsign, (assuming you feel comfortable sharing that) or at least signify in some way you are a licensed amateur radio operator, I can get a feel of if this is a viable option. Assuming we are able to form a critical mass of operators, perhaps we could start an HF monthly net wherein we check-in at a pre-designated time, and then just say hi to each other, read the most current DEFCON bulletin, and then perhaps assign net control rotating duties as the thing evolves.

Eventually, I would like to figure out some form of digital standard or standards wherein the bulletin could be transmitted via HF and received by those without internet access, or those in remote locations throughout the world.

Again, this is in the nascent stages and the sky is the limit on how organized and regimented, or, how loose and relaxed we make it. The end result I would like to obtain would be for us to have fun, fellowship, and provide a service to the community. If in the process we get more people interested in obtaining or upgrading their licenses, so much the better!

I look forward to hearing back from you all soon.
Best of 73,

N2SRO
S Bryson KG5TJV Interested in Participation.

yes, it's sunday.. TECHNICALLY... at 0130 hrs ZULU ( ie: 2130 Eastern Daylight Time Saturday evening) or to put it another way, 9:30PM Eastern Daylight Time (EAST COAST USA)
Glad to Know I didn't Miss it....I tuned in Saturday Night at 8:30 PM CST. I will try to Check-In on Sunday at the Correct Time. 73 de KG5TJV

On 2nd Reading, I Suppose I Did Miss it. Well hopefully Next Time I can Participate. Late Notice from Telegram App. 73 de KG5TJV

KDØQG...... Charlie in Western Colorado..Intrested in hearing aoout this and remember when Cival Defence that was popular in the 60 & 70's I still also keep a old tube type HF rig online still, as many of us did, because of the idea that a nuclear air burst would knock out solid state comnunication and the tube type aren't as affected. But I am a garegiver for my wife who is dissabled and not always able to stay in Nets and sometimes have to jump out to tend to her, but will try to listen in and help if I can.. 73.. Charlie..

Hi N2SRO, A solid idea and I'd be interested in helping. I have a General license and a 300' center-fed dipole operating at 100W. I don't have a great deal of experience yet as my antenna hasn't been up for too long. Let me know your next steps.

KE0ROJ

I'm a Technician and have not upgraded to General due to Covid, but I plan on upgrading within the next month. I can monitor all frequencies up to 80 meter but cannot transmit until I am upgraded. I won't post my call sign on the board because of privacy reasons, but maybe I will run into some of you on a Radio Net meeting.

Last edited:
In the wrong SHTF scenario transmitting then could be more dangerous then than it would be now.
I agree. You can give away your identity by your call sign. You can give away your location by transmitting. I'm in favor of situational awareness and not getting careless.