• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

US-Israel/Iran | CF Unstable & Unresolved | April-10th/May-10th | Reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi arrives in China for talks

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has arrived in Beijing for talks with his Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi, who’s condemned the US and Israel’s war on Iran as ‘illegitimate.’ The visit comes as China remains a key buyer of Iranian oil, in defiance of US sanctions, while Washington tries to cut off Tehran’s revenue.
 

Iran says ships complying with new Hormuz transit regulations

“All vessels intending to pass through the strait must use a corridor previously announced by Iran, and any deviation would face firm action,” it said on X, describing the designated route as the “only safe passage” through the strategic waterway.

The warning came after remarks by Yadollah Javani, deputy political chief of the IRGC, who said maritime transit in the Strait of Hormuz would take place only with Iran’s authorization.
 

Iran’s vision of a new legal regime in the Strait of Hormuz

Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, the speaker of Iran’s Islamic Consultative Assembly and Iranian top negotiator after the demise of Ayatollah Khamanei, has emphasised the Islamic Republic’s complete control over the Strait of Hormuz as a strategic chokepoint. He reiterated: “Traffic through this passage will only be carried out based on designated routes and with Iran’s permission. The opening or closing of the Strait of Hormuz and its regulations will be determined by the ‘field’ (Iran’s military forces) and based on national interests, not foreign claims.”
 

Is the Iran war over?

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Tuesday that Operation Epic Fury – the US-Israeli strikes on Iran which commenced on February 28 and prompted a regional conflict – had concluded as its objectives had been achieved. Washington now prefers “the path of peace”, Rubio said.

On the same day, US President Donald Trump announced that the US military operation to escort stranded ships out of the Strait of Hormuz – “Project Freedom”, which was launched the day before – had been paused.
 

Exclusive: U.S. and Iran closing in on one-page memo to end war, officials say

The White House believes it's getting close to an agreement with Iran on a one-page memorandum of understanding to end the war and set a framework for more detailed nuclear negotiations, according to two U.S. officials and two other sources briefed on the issue.

The big picture: The U.S. expects Iranian responses on several key points in the next 48 hours. Nothing has been agreed yet, but the sources said this was the closest the parties had been to an agreement since the war began.
  • Among other provisions, the deal would involve Iran committing to a moratorium on nuclear enrichment, the U.S. agreeing to lift its sanctions and release billions in frozen Iranian funds, and both sides lifting restrictions around transit through the Strait of Hormuz.
  • Many of the terms laid out in the memo would be contingent on a final agreement being reached, leaving the possibility of renewed war or an extended limbo in which the hot war has stopped but nothing is truly resolved.
 
Two U.S. Navy destroyers transited the Strait of Hormuz and entered the Persian Gulf after navigating an Iranian barrage, according to defense officials who spoke to CBS News under condition of anonymity to discuss national security matters.

The USS Truxtun and USS Mason, supported by Apache helicopters and other aircraft, faced a series of coordinated threats during the passage, the defense officials said. Iran launched small boats, missiles and drones against them in what officials described as a sustained barrage.


 

Iran and the U.S. are working with mediators to hammer out a one-page, 14-point memorandum of understanding that would lay out a framework for a monthlong period of talks to end the war, people familiar with the matter said. The Strait of Hormuz issue will remain unresolved in the memorandum, and it only "calls on Iran to ease" its closure of the Strait.
- WSJ

The deal is a one-page memorandum, does not include nuclear issue. The memorandum would not initially require concessions from either side, they did not mention several key demands Washington has made in the past, which Iran has rejected, such as curbs on Iran's missile programme and an end to its support for proxy militias in the Middle East.

The sources spoke of potential curbs on future Iranian enrichment ⁠of uranium, but made no mention of Iran's existing stockpile of more than 400 kg (900 pounds) of it, already enriched to near weapons grade, which Washington has previously demanded it yield up to end the war.

- Reuters

 
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) has announced that U.S. forces disabled an Iranian-flagged crude oil tanker, the motor tanker Hasna, as it attempted to breach the blockade and proceed to an Iranian port. Following repeated warnings issued to the Hasna by U.S. forces, a U.S. Navy F/A-18E/F "Super Hornet" launched from the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) and utilized its 20mm gun to disable the ship's rudder.
 
Messy.....

Trump’s abrupt U-turn on a plan to reopen the Strait of Hormuz came after backlash from allies

President Donald Trump’s abrupt reversal on his plan to help ships go through the Strait of Hormuz came after a key Gulf ally suspended the U.S. military’s ability to use its bases and airspace to carry out the operation, according to two U.S. officials.

A call between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman did not resolve the issue, the two U.S. officials said, forcing the president to pause Project Freedom in order to restore U.S. military access to the critical airspace.
 
Imagery from today (May 6) gives us an excellent look at the USN deployment along the blockade line in the Northern Arabian Sea / Gulf of Oman. The northern LCS placement is highly intriguing. With virtually no air defense and no visible escorts spotted nearby, it's a very bold spot to hang out. For all the flak the platform gets, it looks like the 'little crappy ship' is finally out there working the contested littorals exactly like she was built to do.
 

Chinese-owned oil tanker hit near Strait of Hormuz in first since Iran conflict began​

A Chinese-owned oil tanker came under attack near the Strait of Hormuz for the first time since the U.S.-Iran conflict began on Thursday.
A report from Chinese media stated that the unnamed vessel was marked "CHINA OWNER & CREW." The ship's deck caught fire from the attack and it remains unclear whether any of its crew were injured.
This was the first time a Chinese oil tanker has been attacked, a person with knowledge of the matter told Chinese outlet Caixin.
China remains a key buyer of Iranian oil, which has been targeted by a US blockade in the Gulf of Oman.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom