• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Zaporizhzhya NPP | Mar/3rd - Aug/18th '2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just getting ready to post that myself. Good analysis. I would say that it's not the headline that's alarmist, per se - they're just quoting the UN chief. But, yeah, it's not that bad yet.
Actually they are dramatically misquoting the IAEA Director by taking a few words out of his statement and misrepresenting them. You know, Information Operations Media Practices 101.

In this highly volatile and dangerous situation, it is more important than ever that the seven indispensable safety pillars that I outlined at the beginning of the war, and that I reiterated at the United Nations in New York last Monday, are fully respected in order to maintain nuclear safety and security.
Ominously, however, almost all have been compromised at the Zaporizhzya nuclear power plant over the past several months, and yet again, in the last 24 hours, several pillars have been violated.
This must stop and stop now.
In order to help prevent the situation from spiralling even more out of control, the IAEA’s presence to provide technical support for nuclear safety and security is of paramount importance.

And THIS is yet another of many examples why I have very little trust in any media. Try to use as many direct sources as possible, because we know for a fact that the combination of Information Operations and widespread pattern of media lying (as normal now) creates a toxic stew of regular misinformation.

The actual IAEA statement - not the manipulated version.

Director General Grossi Alarmed by Shelling at Ukraine NPP, says IAEA Mission Vital for Nuclear Safety and Security​

The Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Mariano Grossi, issued the following statement today about the situation at Ukraine’s Zaporizhzya nuclear power plant:
I’m extremely concerned by the shelling yesterday at Europe’s largest nuclear power plant, which underlines the very real risk of a nuclear disaster that could threaten public health and the environment in Ukraine and beyond.
The IAEA has received information about this serious situation – the latest in a long line of increasingly alarming reports from all sides.
According to Ukraine, there has been no damage to the reactors themselves and no radiological release. However, there is damage elsewhere on the site.
Military action jeopardizing the safety and security of the Zaporizhzya nuclear power plant is completely unacceptable and must be avoided at all costs.
Any military firepower directed at or from the facility would amount to playing with fire, with potentially catastrophic consequences.
I strongly and urgently appeal to all parties to exercise the utmost restraint in the vicinity of this important nuclear facility, with its six reactors.
And I condemn any violent acts carried out at or near the Zaporizhzya nuclear power plant or against its staff.

The Ukrainian staff operating the plant under Russian occupation must be able to carry out their important duties without threats or pressure undermining not only their own safety but also that of the facility itself.
In this highly volatile and dangerous situation, it is more important than ever that the seven indispensable safety pillars that I outlined at the beginning of the war, and that I reiterated at the United Nations in New York last Monday, are fully respected in order to maintain nuclear safety and security.
Ominously, however, almost all have been compromised at the Zaporizhzya nuclear power plant over the past several months, and yet again, in the last 24 hours, several pillars have been violated.
This must stop and stop now.
In order to help prevent the situation from spiralling even more out of control, the IAEA’s presence to provide technical support for nuclear safety and security is of paramount importance.
Since the beginning of this tragic war, the IAEA – and I personally – has been working on supporting Ukraine in keeping all its nuclear facilities safe and secure.
And for the last four months now, I have been ready to lead a mission of IAEA safety, security and safeguards experts to the country’s biggest nuclear power plant, Zaporizhzya.
This mission would play a crucial role in helping to stabilise the nuclear safety and security situation there, as we have at the Chornobyl nuclear power plant and elsewhere in Ukraine in recent months where we have also delivered nuclear safety and security equipment that is urgently needed.
At the same time, IAEA safeguards inspectors would conduct essential verification activities at the plant.
We would also provide impartial and independent information about the status of the Zaporizhzya facility.
That this vital mission has not yet happened is not because of the IAEA. Despite our determined efforts, it has not been possible, so far.
I will not give up. I will continue to push – and push again – for this IAEA mission to finally take place.
But this will need the cooperation, understanding and facilitation from both Ukraine and Russia.
We will also need the United Nations to support us, and I’m very grateful for the steadfast support of UN Secretary General António Guterres.
We can’t afford to lose any more time.
For the sake of protecting people in Ukraine and elsewhere from a potential nuclear accident, we must all set aside our differences and act, now. The IAEA is ready.

Please post any information about the Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant here:
Sorry - I posted the IAEA report at the latest before I saw this. I think the report (not the speculation) is a legitimate Ukraine/Russia war report, but its your website.

I think it is great that radiation levels are good. But considering Russia has reportedly had their military in control of area. And both sides are blaming each other for shelling close to facility. Personally doesn't it seem more plausible that Ukraine would be shelling the area to move Russia away. Otherwise Russia would be shelling their own controlled area ? Common sense says Ukraine are lobbing shells. But I guess that goes against the narrative. 🤔🙄🤷🏻‍♂️🤦‍♂️

At the Zaporizhia NPP, the risk of hydrogen leakage and radioactive spraying remains, - Energoatom warns. The situation at the ZNPP as of August 9 after Russian shelling: - one of the three operating power units is disabled;
- the nitrogen-oxygen station and the combined auxiliary building were damaged; - high fire danger; - three radiation monitoring sensors around the ZNPP spent nuclear fuel site were damaged.

Russia will install air defense around a nuclear plant to avoid targeting by Himars and new US missiles

I think it's a calculated but cynical move of Russia to place more explosives like the S-400 next to the plant.
Any missfire of those missiles or any artillery shell hitting them could set off the catastrophe !!

Ahhhh nuclear plants in the middle of a conflict zone. The builders never thought this could be a problem? Why wouldn’t they build the plants in the open ocean to scuttle similar to submarine accidents?

Ahhhh nuclear plants in the middle of a conflict zone. The builders never thought this could be a problem? Why wouldn’t they build the plants in the open ocean to scuttle similar to submarine accidents?
Power is lost the longer it has to travel. That's why all nuclear power plants or any power plant in general are close to their city centers as to not lose the voltage of electricity flying through the transmission lines.

🚨
⚡⚡🚨BREAKING NEWS:
THE POWER PLANT IS FINE AND WORKING NORMALLY
🚨

⚡⚡⚡⚡🚨🚨🚨⚡⚡⚡⚡🚨🚨

THAT IS NOT WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO HEAR!

Unless we're panicking people, we're doing it wrong!!!!

(Somewhere out there, someone is not going to get the joke and post this all over social media...)
I swear some people really will never be happy until we are on defcon2 screaming "russia is going to cause a nuclear disaster so china can invade taiwan!.!>!!"... because Putin said, again, something about him NOT using nukes, and Russia always lies.

I see some opinions here that are misleading, the plant isn't under control of Ukraine or the IAEA.
On the contrary, the situation has escalated. And Russia has cut almost all powerlines towards Ukraine.
If the plant runs out of power it won't have any cooling

I see some opinions here that are misleading, the plant isn't under control of Ukraine or the IAEA.
On the contrary, the situation has escalated. And Russia has cut almost all powerlines towards Ukraine.
If the plant runs out of power it won't have any cooling

There are diesel backup generators and if worst comes to worst they can use the power from the turbines to supply the coolant pumps.

There are diesel backup generators and if worst comes to worst they can use the power from the turbines to supply the coolant pumps.
Who is they? Do you expect that the russians who are responsible for this situation to lift a finger?
Russia is taking advantage of it and they are more likely to make it worse.

Who is they? Do you expect that the russians who are responsible for this situation to lift a finger?
Russia is taking advantage of it and they are more likely to make it worse.
"They" refers to the highly qualified engineers who are maintaining the plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.